Re: Ad-hoc channel setting bug

I've noticed an additional problem -

If we try to "fool" NM in the following way, it "catches" us:

If we try to first "Create New Wireless Network" (for creation of an ad-hoc network), and the run "iwconfig eth1 channel 7", for example, then NM resets itself and decides on what seems to it as the best network, which means switching back to managed mode. We haven't found any combination of actions which allows us to work around the no-channel bug when using networkmanager, leaving manual usage of iwconfig as the only way to create a wireless network, and the "Create New Wireless Network" feature unusable in any laptop with the ubiquitous IPW2200 (centrino) card. What causes this, and is there any thinkable way around the problem?