Re: One more clue

On 9/7/06, David Abrahams <dave boost-consulting com> wrote:
> It's checked into NM CVS

Where's that repository?

> on both HEAD and stable branches as test/nm-supplicant-test.c. Build
> NM (or grab it here [1]),

Sorry, Firefox tells me that's a BIN file.  What am I supposed to do
with it?

Unfortunately the version Dan built requires libdbus-1.so.3 which is
not available on Ubuntu, you might be able to create a symlink from
libdbus-1.so but I am not what that would do.

I am building it on Ubuntu and I can email it to you or you can
checkout it from CVS with:
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co NetworkManager

grab the required dependencies:
sudo apt-get build-dep network-manager
sudo apt-get install automake cvs

and build Network-Manager with:
edit configure.in to remove -Werror
and then do:
./autogen.sh
make (Do not do a make install)

Stop Network Manager with:
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop

and do then the command Dan described below pointing the test tool to
you wpa_supplicant.conf that is working properly.

> construct a wpa_supplicant config file, then run:
>
> sudo test/nm-supplicant-test eth1 /path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> It will use the network config for the first _uncommented_ network.  To
> diagnose the issue, I'll need the output from the supplicant tester (be
> _sure_ to remove any "wep_key0" or "psk" lines) as well as the output
> from a run of NetworkManager itself

Sorry, I was under the impression that NM doesn't use config options I
set in wpa_supplicant.conf.  It certainly worked (as well as it has)
whether or not I had such a file.  Are there NM config options somewhere?

It does not, you described that the problem does not happen when you
run wpa_supplicant manually, this tool is going to take your config
and use it to send all the options to wpa_supplicant the same way
NetworkManager normally does in an attempt to debug why it works with
wpa_supplicant but not with Network Manager.

Sorry if this is not 100% clear, I am typing this with a 9 month old
on my lap who thinks that the keyboard is a piano!