Re: Scripts to authenticate with Wifi "hotspots"

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 21:09 -0400, Jeff Schallenberg wrote:
> I can't help you with the script, Matt, but I really don't think you
> need one.

At least with the AT&T service they already provide connection software
for Windows to sign in automatically.  I'd like to be able to do the
same thing transparently on my Linux box, and based on Dan's email it
looks like NetworkManagerDispatcher will let me do what I need.

> The functionality at those hotspots is called a "captive portal", and
> it is there to authenticate you. You can't even do other internet
> activities like POP3 mail or Instant messaging, before you log in. The
> only thing you can do to automate the process is to allow "cookies" in
> your browser that fill in the form for you.

Yes, and it's annoying when I try to sign on to IRC, or check my mail
and it just sits there unable to connect.  The worst is when I start
Epiphany up after a crash and it offers to restore my tabs, only to find
that all the tabs start loading the portal instead of the pages I wanted
to see.

I'll probably throw together a small Python script to simulate the
browser requests to post the necessary form when it connects to a known
hotspot SSID.  I'll post it on the list when I've got it working.

--
Matt Good <matt matt-good net>