Re: openvpn needs more settings

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 12:14 +1300, Steve Wray wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
> First off, you'll need to add those settings to the allowed-settings
> array in vpn-daemons/openvpn/src/nm-openvpn-service.c in the function
> nm_openvpn_config_options_validate().

ahhh I had been hoping not to have to get into modifying the source
myself... oh well if it comes to that it comes to that :)

> If you want real GUI for this, well, that needs to get worked out.  The
> current OpenVPN config dialog is a train-wreck, precisely because
> OpenVPN is so damn configurable.  OpenVPN is seriously not meant to be
> used by mere mortals, since it's scope of config options is the same as
> ALSA's config scope.  Anyway...
>
> The first bits here will at least get it working for you, the GUI pieces
> need a bunch of thought and UI layout work.

Yeah I had noticed how huge the dialog box is! My 1024x768 screen has it
falling right off the bottom :) It could do with a different aspect
ratio (more landscapey) but then I am no UI expert ;)

How about giving the option to pull in a regular, normal openvpn config
file and stuff that into the NetworkManager settings? That would be just
brilliant...

Or even just to get NetworkManager to point at an openvpn config file
(under 'advanced' with a 'browse for a file to use instead of the gconfd
stuff')?

I mean gconfd is all very well but actually using config files that the
underlying software itself actually uses shouldn't be *too* hard eh?