Re: NetworkManager, WPA and non-wext drivers

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 17:00 +0100, Michael T wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to you and to Darren for your answers.  Can you make an educated
> guess at how much work it is likely to be to change the rtl818x driver to
> use WE-18 (is 18 the right number here?)  I took a very quick look at the
> in-kernel (2.6.18) sources for the ipw2100 driver, and saw two functions (I
> presume they were ioctls, but I didn't even look that long) which looked
> like they were relevant.  If I do happen to find the time this year - I
> don't have it, but I might just still - I could take a look at it myself.
> In that case I would be grateful for any guidance to speed up the job and
> optimise the time spent :)
>
> By the way, as far as I can see, the rtl818x uses a fork of the ipw stack,
> presumably from before the time when it was updated to WE-18.

Wow, that code hasn't been touched in a year or more.  It certainly
needs a maintainer who cares about it or it's not going to get
_anywhere_.  And without a maintainer it's not going to get the
attention it needs to get upstream.  I'd say your chances of getting
this fixed are pretty close to nil unless a white knight comes along and
picks it up.

Dan