Re: NetworkManager, WPA and non-wext drivers

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 10:42 -0500, Darren Albers wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Michael T <raselmsh hotmail com> wrote:
> > I was able to get NetworkManger to connect to my WPA network by:
> >
> > * adding a couple of lines to src/nm-device-802-11-wireless.c to make it use
> > wpa_supplicant's ipw driver instead of wext if the card contains an rtl8180
> > chipset (as mine does)
> > * connecting to the network by manually entering all network and encryption
> > details using the KNetworkManager GUI, since the GUI still picked up the
> > network as WEP
> >

> I saw that Dan answered your post, but if your patch works (Though I
> am confused why the realtek chipset you have works with the IPW
> driver...) you should submit it to your distro for them to include the
> patch with their package.  I /think/ the Debian package already
> includes workarounds for a number of other wireless cards so if your
> workaround is valid then they might be willing to consider including
> it if you file a bug and include the patch.

Yeah, and at some point I'm going to stop caring about bugs people have
when using these drivers with distros...  either driver writers get with
the program, or they won't get their drivers to Just Work.  I think all
the major drivers are WE-18 and later compliant already, the drivers
that don't aren't upstream in the kernel, and they won't get there until
they _do_ have full WE-18 support.