NetworkManager IPW2200 FC4

I replied but I'm not sure it got through.  Here it is again.  Thanks

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 02:00 -0700, tmort wrote:
> I have an Intel Pro Wireless 2200 B/G card and am running FC4.
>
> I have installed the firmware, driver, etc for the ipw2200 and have
> installed NetworkManager 5.1.
>
> I have it set up so that the NetworkManagerInfo applet appears on the screen
> and it can see a public wifi hotspot (non-encrypted) with a good signal but
> when I select it, it doesn't connect.  The icon continues to be a crossed
> out wired connection.
>
> I can get this card to work on this network if I use Network Configure and
> set up a wirless device using it and activate it.  However, I can't get it
> to work on my home WEP wireless network.  That is why I am trying
> NetworkManager.
>
> I've read elsewhere that the driver for the ipw2200 doesn't support the MII
> standard and that may be the issue.  I don't know what this standard is and
> didn't look to see the date of the post (maybe the issue is resolved)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Can you get any logs out of NetworkManager by stopping the service, and
(as root) running "/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon", trying to
connect, and posting the output to this list?

Dan

> Do you mean as root typing:
>
> /usr//bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ?

Yes.  The NetworkManager daemon itself needs to be run as root, but only
the NetworkManager applet needs to be run as your user.  So, if you open
a terminal, and get a root shell (either with 'sudo su -' or 'su -'),
you can just type "/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon" and you should
be fine.  This will cause NetworkManager not to daemonize, and to direct
all its output to the terminal in which it is run.

> If so then how to I try to connect.  I'm used to running NM from
within
> the Gnome desktop.

You should be able to just run
both /usr/libexec/NetworkManagerNotification
and /usr/bin/NetworkManagerInfo as your normal user, if they are not
already running.

> And where is or what will the log file be called?

It should be printed out to the terminal in which you
ran /usr/bin/NetworkManager.  You can then simply copy the output and
put it into an email.  Make sure you try at least one or two connection
attempts, of course, so I can see the output of that.

Dan

Here are two logs.  In the first one there was no wireless network
nearby and for the second one there was.  It seemed to have stalled out
on the second one.  I was at a Panera Bread which allows you to connect
wirelessly, but, to fully connect your have to go through a screen on
the
web.I ran the command in the terminal and it never came
back to the prompt.

__ Log with no Wireless Network Nearby

[root localhost ~]# /usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

NetworkManager: <information> starting...

NetworkManager: <information> eth1: Device is fully-supported using
driver 'ip w2200'.

NetworkManager: <information> nm_device_new(): waiting for device's
worker thr ead to start

NetworkManager: <information> nm_device_new(): device's worker thread
started, continuing.

NetworkManager: <information> Now managing wireless device 'eth1'.

NetworkManager: <information> Deactivating device eth1.

NetworkManager: <information> eth0: Device is fully-supported using
driver 'e1 00'.

NetworkManager: <information> nm_device_new(): waiting for device's
worker thr ead to start

NetworkManager: <information> nm_device_new(): device's worker thread
started, continuing.

NetworkManager: <information> Now managing wired device 'eth0'.

NetworkManager: <information> Deactivating device eth0.

NetworkManager: <information> Found dial up configuration for SBCGlobal
via Mo dem: SBCGlobal

NetworkManager: <information> Updating allowed wireless network lists.

NetworkManager: process_scan_results: assertion `res_buf_len > 0' failed

NetworkManager: <WARNING> (): nm_device_wireless_process_scan_results(et
h1): process_scan_results() returned an error.

[...]

NetworkManager: <information> Caught SIGINT/SIGTERM

NetworkManager: <information> Caught terminiation signal

NetworkManager: <debug info> [1147894564.686632] (): Open Sockets List:

NetworkManager: <debug info> [1147894564.793670] (): Open Sockets List
Done.

NetworkManager: <information> Deactivating device eth1.

NetworkManager: <information> Deactivating device eth0.

[root localhost ~]#

__ Log with Wireless Network Nearby

[...]

I ran them in that order after moving to an area with an access point
and then connected using the Network Configuration Wizard to that access
point.