Re: wireless driver workarounds

Once upon a time, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> said:
> Any chance you could whip up a wpa_supplicant config file for your
> network situation, and use wpa_supplicant standalone (without
> NetworkManager)?  Make sure to use "-ddd" to get the maximum logging
> information.
>
> the command should go something like this:
>
> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -ddd -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dmadwifi
>
> If that fails, then it's 95% likely a madwifi-ng bug and something they
> broke recently.

It appears that it broke between snapshots r1447 and r1451.  The r1451
included a HAL update, so I suspect that is the problem.  I'll try to
document it more and send it to the madwifi people.

On the good side, with madwifi-ng-r1447 and today's Fedora rawhide, I
can connect to my WPA2 and WEP networks (no NetworkManager patches
beyond what Fedora includes appear necessary).

One annoying thing I found about NM while working through this: shutting
down the NM daemon ("service NetworkManager stop") shuts down the
ethernet interface, even when NM didn't configure it (it was enabled at
boot).  This is probably wrong; NM should probably only stop interfaces
that it started or just leave interfaces configured (what happens on an
upgrade for example - does a service restart cause network interfaces to
drop?).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>