Re: nm-applet keeps disconnecting when using replacement libhal

On Pi, 2006-06-30 at 11:12 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> Hmm; NetworkManager shouldn't really care if nm-applet is running,
> except that when it starts NM will pull the list of "allowed" networks
> from the applet.  Can you clarify the behavior here?  What happens when
> you start NM and let it sit for a while?  What happens then when you
> start nm-applet?  Can you post some output from "NetworkManager
> --no-dameon" ?  That would give a clue as to why NM keeps disconnecting.

  Sorry, I apologize. I forgot to include any usable debugging info. :)
Ok, so output from NM is like this - there are also debugging
informations from libhal-nm included:

lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_property_exists does not implement
'usb.interface.class'
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        eth0: Device is fully-supported
using driver 'ndiswrapper'.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        nm_device_init(): waiting for
device's worker thread to start
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        nm_device_init(): device's
worker thread started, continuing.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Now managing wired Ethernet
(802.3) device 'eth0'.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Deactivating device eth0.
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_property_exists (0x55c2e0, eth1,
net.interface, (nil))
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_property_exists (0x55c2e0, eth1,
info.category, (nil))
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_get_property_string for info.category
and eth1
lt-NetworkManager: return 'net.80203'
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_get_property_string for net.interface
and eth1
lt-NetworkManager: return 'eth1'
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_property_exists (0x55c2e0, eth1,
info.category, (nil))
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_get_property_string for info.category
and eth1
lt-NetworkManager: return 'net.80203'
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_get_property_string for
net.physical_device and eth1
lt-NetworkManager: return 'eth1'
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_property_exists (0x55c2e0, eth1,
info.linux.driver, (nil))
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_get_property_string for
info.linux.driver and eth1
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_property_exists (0x55c2e0, eth1,
usb.interface.class, (nil))
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_device_property_exists does not implement
'usb.interface.class'
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        eth1: Driver 'ndiswrapper' does
not support carrier detection.
        You must switch to it manually.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        nm_device_init(): waiting for
device's worker thread to start
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        nm_device_init(): device's
worker thread started, continuing.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Now managing wired Ethernet
(802.3) device 'eth1'.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Deactivating device eth1.
lt-NetworkManager: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.getDevices
lt-NetworkManager: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.getDevices returns
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Updating allowed wireless
network lists.
lt-NetworkManager: <WARNING>     nm_dbus_get_networks_cb (): error
received: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply - Message did not receive a
reply (timeout by message bus).
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Updating allowed wireless
network lists.
lt-NetworkManager: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.getDevices
lt-NetworkManager: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.getDevices returns
lt-NetworkManager: <WARNING>     nm_dbus_get_networks_cb (): error
received: org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks - There are no
wireless networks stored..
[...]
lt-NetworkManager: <WARNING>     nm_signal_handler (): Caught signal 2,
shutting down normally.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Caught terminiation signal
lt-NetworkManager: <debug info> [1151679578.940751] nm_print_open_socks
(): Open Sockets List:
lt-NetworkManager: <debug info> [1151679578.940831] nm_print_open_socks
(): Open Sockets List Done.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Deactivating device eth0.
lt-NetworkManager: <information>        Deactivating device eth1.
lt-NetworkManager: shutting down LibHalContext
lt-NetworkManager: libhal_ctx_shutdown returns

  As far as I understand, the continuous updating happens because of
NameOwnerChanged signal emitted because nm-applet has disconnected and
connected, but the reason remains unknown.

  I'm also on irc - #networkmanager @irc.gnome.org, nickname mmp.

> Dan

	Milan