Re: How to set up Bind/SplitDNS on FC5?

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 12:09 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:
>
> > I thought they did; make sure that bind is running with the "-D" option.
> > Just checked, and a basic install of FC6 (rawhide) doesn't turn this on
> > by default either.  Which might explain some of the stupidity I've been
> > seeing WRT to networking changes recently on my laptop.
>
> Okay.  I hand-modified /etc/sysconfig/named and added OPTIONS=-D and
> now named is reporting dbus service.  Should I file a bug against named
> for this?  I have no idea if it should be running with the DBUS service
> enabled by default.
>
> > Note that split DNS, while possible, isn't quite used yet.  We've got
> > all the bits in place, just need to hook it up for VPN.
>
> Oh, it isn't?   Hmm...  Then what does that mean for a VPN situation?
> When I VPNC into my corporate net I need to use the corporate DNS servers.
> If I'm using named.....  How would this work right now?

If you start a VPN, all DNS traffic is funneled to the corporate
nameservers that the VPN reports back to NM.  If split DNS were running,
you'd only use the corporate nameservers for addresses ending in the
corporate domain name that the VPN provided, or ones you specified in
the VPN config, instead of everything.  Think of it like the split
routing that we've already got.

Dan