Re: How to set up Bind/SplitDNS on FC5?

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 08:55 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I'm running FC5 with the following packages:
>
> NetworkManager-0.6.3-1.fc5
> bind-9.3.2-20.FC5
> bind-config-9.3.2-20.FC5
>
> I have named running, but /etc/resolv.conf still points to the
> DNS server provided by DHCP and not the local caching resolver.
>
> Is there some manual configuration I need to do to get this working,
> other than just setting up named to run at boot?  I would've assumed
> that the bind/bind-config packages would have set the appropriate
> configurations for NM in FC5.  I guess I've assumed wrong, but I can't
> seem to find any instructions for what changes I might need to make to
> get this feature working.

I thought they did; make sure that bind is running with the "-D" option.
Just checked, and a basic install of FC6 (rawhide) doesn't turn this on
by default either.  Which might explain some of the stupidity I've been
seeing WRT to networking changes recently on my laptop.

Note that split DNS, while possible, isn't quite used yet.  We've got
all the bits in place, just need to hook it up for VPN.

Dan