Re: Use interfaces not connected at boottime

Michael Biebl wrote:
You probably encountered the same bug as in [1]. NM does not seem to
properly detect hotplugged devices. I'm not sure if its a bug in NM or
rather hal resp. the driver which does not generate the correct hotplug
event. I already discussed that briefly with Dan but we didn't find the
real culprit yet.
As a workaround you can restart NM (depending on your disto
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart or
/etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart) after attaching your usb
adapter.

Michael

I also expected hotplugging to work and have found it not to with
the ipw3945 drivers.  The ipw3945 driver seems to have a bug meaning
it fails to reconnect after being connected to a WPA network, the driver
is relatively new and I imagine that will be sorted soon, but in the mean
time removing and re-inserting the module fixes things.
Unfortunately, though HAL events appear:

wormhole ~ # lshal -m net
Start monitoring devicelist:
net_00_13_02_xx_yy_zz removed
net_00_13_02_xx_yy_zz added

NetworkManager requires restarting. Are you suggesting NM 'should' work without a restart in my case?

tOnY