Re: PPTP Plugin Updated -- Ver. 0.6.9 Generally PPP capable?

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 22:35 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Dan,
> > > Once the BT device is set up and known to NetworkManager, NM will
> > > periodically request scans from BlueZ much like it does for wireless
> > > networks from wpa_supplicant now.
> > >
> > Scanning may or may not be the way forward.  We'll have to see what
> > comes out in the wash with that.  For the moment, provided the necessary
> > logical bit to enable/disable connections (by some abstract criteria) is
> > in place,
> > we may simply use more liberal criteria.  For Bluetooth connections the
> > presence
> > of an hci device would suffice for example.
>
> You also get signals for plug/unplug events for the Bluetooth adapters
> from the BlueZ D-Bus API.

Seriously, this needs to be done with HAL.  There's really no reason to
use another daemon for hotplug of the adapters themselves, I'd probably
reject patches that listened to BlueZ for this.  It's fine if BlueZ
sends these out, but HAL they should be duplicated in HAL and that's
where any responsible Linux app needs to get them from.

> > All that stuff can be done at present with relatively few calls to the
> > BlueZ libs directly or via libbtctl. So I imagine the DBUS code whether
> > it's in BlueZ directly or via HAL will be equally slick.
>
> Use D-Bus methods and signals. No need to link libbtctl or libbluetooth
> at all.

Yeah, I'd want to use dbus if at all possible.  Same thing I'm doing for
wpa_supplicant right now, stuffing a dbus interface into it so I don't
have to talk to it over a control socket and parse all sorts of junk.