Re: [3/3] Do something with trusted networks

Robert Love <rml novell com> writes:

> The old behavior (as of the last patch I posted) would not have solved
> this, either.
>
> Are you saying you have two wireless networks, with two different
> ESSID's, but sharing one BSSID?

Yes!  I do too:

          Cell 03 - Address: 00:0F:3D:EE:5C:DC
                    ESSID:"mynet"
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Quality=47/94  Signal level=-48 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                              12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                              48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Extra:bcn_int=100
          Cell 05 - Address: 00:0F:3D:EE:5C:DC
                    ESSID:"mynet-a"
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:5.32 GHz (Channel 64)
                    Quality=32/94  Signal level=-63 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
                              36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Extra:bcn_int=100

> That violates the wireless spec, I am 99% sure.  Who makes the access
> point?

D-Link.DWL-7100AP

In my case one network is on (a) and another is (b/g).  It works for
me MOSTLY...  But NM doesn't always connect properly on first-login
after a reboot..  I think it might depend on whether it sees the ihtfp
or ihtfp-a network first in its scanning.

> The reason NM chokes on it is that we have logic to merge two AP
> objects into one if they share the same BSSID.

Yeah, I've always considered that a bug.

Another (similar but different) issue I've seen is where you can't
specify a particular a or b/g network.  When I go to the IETF meetings
they have both (a) and (b/g) networks all with the same ESSID, and
there's no way in NM to specify "I want the (a) network".

> 	Robert Love

-derek

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available