Re: stop NMI from automatic router switching

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 13:57 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:
> I am a bit confused, on my system Network-Manager never automatically
> connects to a network unless I connect to it first.  So if there is an
> open wireless network that you don't want to connect to it should
> never connect to it unless you connected at least once.  To stop this
> delete the network under ~/.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks.

Correct.  NM only ever connects if you have connected at some point
previously.

> I know that deleting it there is not the most user friendly solution
> to deleting profiles but it does work...   There should be an easier
> way to handle profiles but I think that is coming.

Right, this has always been "dirty little secret," in that there's no
GUI way to add/delete networks easily.  Part of the problem with _that_
is that this is something that's historically been quite distribution
specific, and I have no idea how a tool to do this would integrate with
every distro.  In the end, we should just write one and see.

> So Network Manager will always attempt to connect to a network you
> have already connected to, this causes a couple of problems:
> 1) Priority, how do you prioritize which SSID to connect to.  Though
> this is a pretty minor problem for the majority of users.

Right now, this is essentially the AP that: (a) can be seen in a scan,
and (b) has the highest timestamp, meaning you connected to it most
recently out of all the other access points in the scan list.

> 2) How do you set certain AP's as only connect when explicitly told to.

Right now, you can't.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't find some way of
working this in.

> The workaround is to delete the network and if you ever have to use
> that network again make sure you delete it when you are done with it
> so it does not auto reconnect later.
>
> **Disclaimer: What I have written above is the behavior I see and
> could be completely incorrect!  ;)

At least in this case, you've correctly perceived the behavior of NM.

Thanks,
Dan