Re: Preferred and not preferred networks option

Am Montag, den 05.06.2006, 10:34 -0700 schrieb tanjack:
> I guess that others have asked for it, but nm keeps on
> connecting to my neighbours (unsecured) network, even
> though I changed my own (WPA secured) network's name
> to be higher in the alphabet.
>
> I do not want network-manager to automatically connect
> to my neighbours network or any other network without
> my explicit consent. I think it might be insecure as
> well. I would almost call this a bug.
>
> I strongly suggest that one has the option not to
> connect  to certain networks.
>
> Even better: default is not connected, unless a
> network is explicitly approved.

I agree with this because the same happens to me sometimes. The solution
could be simple: When you left-click the nm tray icon, a list of all
available networks is shown. We could just put a small checkbox in front
of the network names, and nm only connects to those networks that you
have checked. (This behaviour could of course be turned off). If more
than one network is available, and more than one is checked, then nm
should choose the one with the best signal for example. The downside is
that nm would have to keep a list of all networks it has seen and which
you have chosen as "trusted".

Tom