Re: Limit on number of APs? Some way to force-rescan?

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 13:51 -0500, Robo Blaster wrote:
> It would be nice if opening the scan list triggered a rescan. In crowded AP areas, I often have problems getting connected. A contributing problem is that AP_SCAN always equals 1 if the ssid is in the scan list. A new scan is taken, my AP isn't there (usually), and it waits, scans again, and times-out. Shouldn't it rescan quicker and eventually try AP_SCAN=2 before the timeout? At least if I click "Connect to Other Wireless Network" and re-enter credentials I should get a directed scan, but if the ssid hasn't aged out of the drop-down list, it will still scan and look for an ssid match.

Actually, it does.  When you drop the menu down, NM schedules a scan in
a very short period of time, and reduces the inter-scan interval to 20s.
When you haven't touched the menu for a while, it pushes the scan
interval out to 20 minutes or something like that.

Dan

> It looks like the scan list returns 15 APs, so in an area of 25-50 APs, a directed scan will often be required.

Yes; wireless is inherently unreliable and you may not get every AP on
every scan for various reasons.  You never will, even with 'iwlist ethX
scan', even executed multiple times.  It Just Doesn't Work That Way.  So
what NM does is collect scan results and age them; an AP is removed from
the NM scan list when it hasn't been seen in a scan for 6 minutes, which
is > 3 scan requests.

Wireless scans are never complete or reliable on _any_ platform.

Dan