Re: NM tidbits

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, David Zeuthen wrote:

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 08:21 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
4a) I'm on battery and I have a wired connection available.  In the
interest of conserving every bit of battery power, I turn my screen
brightness way down,

gnome-power-manager does this already if your hardware supports it.

park my hard drive,

g-p-m calls SetLowPower(TRUE) on HAL and your distro power management
scripts will be invoked to do this.

Have to look into this.  Thanks for the tip.

and turn off my wireless
transmitter.

Clearly NM has the brains to do this itself and perhaps it should, at
least when running battery. That's part of the point why we're making NM
the single entity that controls networking. Sure, this leaves all the
uhm people who like to configure their system to the last bit out in the
cold but as pointed out repeatedly their are not the main audience for
NM [1].

As a general rule of thumbwWe should never invent options when we can do
the right thing automatically. Vote no on the "disable networking"
proposition.

Presumably, it would power down wireless when connected by wire? Are there other cases where you might want both? There are certainly cases where you would want neither, even when in range of a WAP. And of course, if I don't have wire, but I'm running on battery, I may want wireless anyway.

I'm having a bit of trouble imagining a state diagram that doesn't have at least one human-activated switch in it.

   David

[1] : though if it don't cost much in terms of code / options /
complexity let's make it work for the these people too

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu