Re: Disconnect VPN (was: Finding existing PPP connection)

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 17:51 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 16:06 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Yeah, I know that's a problem.  But I'd like to do this the "right" way,
> > even if it takes a few more weeks or such.
>
> I applaud that as it is generally quicker in the long run.
>
> On a related note (since the previous thread dealt with future
> development), is it possible to not have "Disconnect VPN" remove all
> existing routes when disconnecting?  On my system I have several VPN
> connections (work, play, alternate work).  The work vpn is outside of
> NetworkManager and stays pegged 100% of the time.  When I enable and
> then disable the "play" vpn (both VPNs work simultaneously)
> NetworkManager seems to delete all routes associated with the work VPN.
> The work vpn does recognize this eventually and will restore those
> routes, however it would be nice if NetworkManager could only delete the
> routes associated with the vpn it is disconnecting.

We've got a pretty heavy-handed approach to routing table modification
right now; NM will clear all routes on the device and reset the routes
that the device needs like it set up before you activated the VPN.
That's somewhat like a sledgehammer, but because we didn't have the
ability to do fine-grained routing table manipulation (we now have a
routing-functional libnl to do this for us), that's the approach used.
I expect that 0.7 will be much better at coexisting with other stuff
that modifies the routing table.