Re: Static IP via predefined DHCP lease - doesn't work with nm

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 09:39 +0100, Stefan S�ng wrote:
> [...]
>
> NetworkManager: <information>^IWill activate wired connection 'eth0'
> because it now has a link.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IWill activate connection 'eth0'.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IDevice eth0 activation scheduled...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IDeactivating device eth2.
> dhclient: There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.eth2.pid with
> pid 2805
> dhclient: killed old client process, removed PID file
> dhclient: DHCPRELEASE on eth2 to 131.246.85.254 port 67
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) started...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device
> Prepare) scheduled...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device
> Prepare) started...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device
> Configure) scheduled...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device
> Prepare) complete.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device
> Configure) starting...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device
> Configure) successful.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP
> Configure Start) scheduled.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device
> Configure) complete.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP
> Configure Start) started...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Beginning DHCP
> transaction.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 3 of 5 (IP
> Configure Start) complete.
> NetworkManager: <information>^IDHCP daemon state is now 12 (successfully
> started) for interface eth0
> NetworkManager: <information>^IDHCP daemon state is now 1 (starting) for
> interface eth0
> dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
> NetworkManager: <information>^IOld device 'eth0' activating, won't change.
> // So far, this is okay, but DHCP fails:
> dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
> dhclient: Trying recorded lease 131.246.234.80
> dhclient: bound: renewal in 101143493 seconds.
> // This is what I want - DHCP fails an the predefined lease is used, but:
> NetworkManager: <information>^IDHCP daemon state is now 8 (timeout) for
> interface eth0
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP
> Configure Timeout) scheduled...
> NetworkManager: <information>^IActivation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP
> Configure Timeout) started...
> NetworkManager: <information>^INo DHCP reply received.  Automatically
> obtaining IP via Zeroconf.
> // Now Network-manager tries to find another IP and kills the above
> (working!) settings...
>
> Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Sorry for the lag in reply...

Does dhclient-script send this information to dhcdbd at all?  There
should be some dbus magic at the top, and the options get passed in as
environment variables to dhclient-script.   If dhclient-script is
pushing those back to dhcdbd, then it should just work, but it sounds
like its not.

Dan