Re: NM do not see any network

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 19:16 +0100, nicola tessari infinito it wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am on Ubuntu 6.10, my wireless card is detected, but the
> NM daemon says:
>
> NetworkManager: <information>   starting...
> NetworkManager: <WARNING>        nm_dbus_init ():
> nm_dbus_init() could not acquire the NetworkManager
> service as it is already taken (ret=3). Is the daemon
> already running?

It appears you are already running NetworkManager, hence this instance
exits.  If that is not the case, there appears to be DBus security
problems.

<rant>
The Ubuntu maintainers probably need to start an Ubuntu-specific FAQ for
problems users encounter.  There are enough Ubuntu-specific hacks and
oddities (probably given that it's not actually in Ubuntu itself) that
these questions keep coming up, and it takes a lot of time to answer
them.  Why are there so many issues relating to Ubuntu, and not to
Fedora or SUSE?  Is it just better integrated on Fedora and SUSE?
</rant>

Dan