Re: ...a question in between (and a suggestion)

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 17:04 +0200, erdballer wrote:
> a) I don't followed the whole discussion, but if i understand it correct,
> there's a need for stopping networkmanager, before using wpa_supplicant?
> I don't need to do this (Ubuntu 6.06 and 6.06.1, by connection to
> WPA-Enterprise with TTLS and PAP with wpa_supplicant). I connect at home
> with nm to WPA2-PSK, later with wpa_supplicant to WPA-Ent. and home again
> with nm... .
> I wrote the wiki-article at http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Networkmanager -
> from Beginner to Beginner and the last status there says: normally there's
> no need to cancel nm-applet / stop nm to use wpa_supplicant.
> Was i wrong in general, is there a need for stopping nm usually?

NM launches a private copy of wpa_supplicant to make connections.
Therefore, if you're already running wpa_supplicant as a daemon, the two
instances of wpa_supplicant will not behave well together.

You only need to stop NetworkManager if you wish to use wpa_supplicant
for some combination of options that NM does not yet support, or if you
are trying to debug a connection issue like we are here.  Taking NM out
of the equation tells us if the problem lies with NM, or with
wpa_supplicant+driver.

> b) I know - WPA-Enterprise with TTLS and PAP is not supported at the
> moment. I don't know, if it's an exotic combinatin. But i know, that at
> leas of juristic reasons, more and more universities will use Encryption
> like WPA-Enterprise and perhaps with TTLS and PAP. So it would be a very
> fine feature.

It's definitely planned.

Dan