Re: Does anyone understand NetworkManager?

On 8/14/06, David Abrahams <dave boost-consulting com> wrote:
<snip>
How do wireless connection problems with network
manager/wpa_supplicant get solved?  Do they get solved, or do people
just give up?  Really, this is not meant to be a rant; I do deeply
appreciate that people work on and support this stuff for free.

I guess I should add a "How to get help section to the FAQ" listing
all the information someone might need to debug the connection.  Part
of the problem is that many of the issues have been resolved and the
fixes just not backported to the various distributions and many of the
people who frequent this list are taking breaks at the end of the
summer.

When I saw your post I read the logs but didn't see anything that
would indicate a problem.  I vaguely remember some issues with hidden
SSID's that were fixed in 0.6.3 that the Ubuntu maintainer may not
have backported.  Can you try broadcasting your SSID and see if it
works?

What type of card are you using?  I have seen a similar problem with
an Atheros (Madwifi) card I have.  I resolved it by building the
latest madwifi drivers by hand (Which then required me to build the
newer version of Network Manager).  If the problem is just that 0.6.2
can't reliably connect to hidden networks then broadcasting your SSID
would be an easier fix.  Not broadcasting your SSID is not more of a
hindrance than a security measure anyway...

I am using Ubuntu Dapper, on which there is seemingly no
wpa_supplicant.conf, which makes it pretty hard to relate any
documentation I read to actual diagnosis on my machine.

No need to post that, that is only needed if you are using some
unusual EAP combination.