Re: Does anyone understand NetworkManager?

David Abrahams wrote:
Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 10:46 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:

Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 09:42 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:

When I saw your post I read the logs but didn't see anything that
would indicate a problem.  I vaguely remember some issues with hidden
SSID's that were fixed in 0.6.3 that the Ubuntu maintainer may not
have backported.  Can you try broadcasting your SSID and see if it
works?

That would be a big help.  Some drivers (madwifi in particular) don't
seem to work well with hidden SSIDs and wpa_supplicant and
NetworkManager, and that interaction isn't well understood.  It has
something to do with AP_SCAN and the network options that are passed to
wpa_supplicant.

Can you try with wpa_supplicant alone, constructing the necessary
wpa_supplicant.conf, and see if that works?  Please use the 'wext'
driver with wpa_suppliant.

Could you point me at some detailed instructions?  I don't know how to
"try with wpa_supplicant alone" or set up its drivers.
Should I do this with or without hidden SSIDs?  With the Ubuntu
release, or something newer?

Any document on setting up wpa_supplicant would work for this; just
remember to stop NetworkManager first.  I don't have any links offhand,
but the package for wpa_supplicant should include a sample config file
that may get you started.

There's none in evidence.  Will look around for a HOWTO.

This might help...

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=125150&highlight=wpa+supplicant