Re: Does anyone understand NetworkManager?

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 13:28 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> Robert Love <rml novell com> writes:

> >> Likely an ipw2200, ipw2915, or ipw3945, right?  Do an 'lsmod | grep ipw'
> >> from a terminal and let us know what you find.
> >
> > The T60 has an ipw3945, which is a great chip.  Try using the latest
> > version of the driver
>
> You mean the Windows driver with ndiswrapper around it?  Or is there a
> Linux driver for ipw3945?

There is a Linux driver:

http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net

It's not in the kernel yet, but various distributions are already
packaging it.

> > and firmware.
>
> I have the latest BIOS for this machine, if that's what you mean.

No, you have to download firmware for various devices, your wireless
card included, to be able to use them.  Firmware is different from BIOS
since it's meant for your wireless card, not your laptop in general.
Think of BIOS as firmware for your laptop only, but other devices might
need their own.