Shell backends

I've searched the archives but failed to find any discussions about that matter. Sorry if this is a stupid question. :-)

Is there any specific reason for using C instead of shell scripts (or any other scripts; it's just the interface -- C functions vs. calling external apps -- that matters) in the backends? I'm asking about it because writing and making small changes in shell scripts is probably a lot easier than modifying and recompiling C code and all of the network managing code in most distros is already sh based.

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa