Re: named or not?

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 12:11 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 09:40 -0500, Brian Millett wrote:
> > Hello,
> >   I'm running NetworkManager on a fedora rawhide laptop.  In the not too
> > distant past, there was a named running under control of NetworkManager
> > with the /etc/resolv.conf pointing to 127.0.0.1.  I see that in the 0.5
> > release there are these options:
> >
> >     * Make --without-named work (j bootlab org)
> >     * Make --with-dhcdbd work correctly (j bootlab org)
> >
> > In the spec for fedora, the options are
> >
> > %build
> > %configure --with-named=/usr/sbin/named --with-named-dir=/var/named/data
> > --with-named-user=named
> > make
> >

> > So, do I need to have named service up and running?  Do I need dhcdbd up
> > and running?  I don't have named running, but I do have dhcdbd.  I have
> > a valid /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Recent changes make NetworkManager talk to named via dbus, if you're
> using the named+dbus patches in Fedora Core's bind package.  If you're
> not, then NetworkManager will fall back to writing out /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Use of dhcdbd is a hard requirement, so you've got to have it, or NM
> won't work.
>
> For either of these, you should start both at startup
> with /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 <service> on.

Thanks for the reply.  I had tried to get named to run, but it failed.
Closer examination showed that my rndc.key had changed to this:

[root dufus etc]# cat /var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key
key "rndckey" {
        algorithm       hmac-md5;
        secret "@KEY@";
};

So I fixed it to have a correct key and all is well.
Thanks.

So, I gather that if named is started, then NetworkManager will use it,
else it reverts to creating its own?

--
Brian Millett - [ N'Grath and Garibaldi, "Survivors"]
"You are police."