Re: PPTP Support

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 11:03 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 22:46 +0000, Antony Mee wrote:
>
> Hi, Anthony.  Looks nice!
>
> > There are somethings ToDo relating to the fact that PPTP is dependent
> > upon pppd. Comments and patches welcome.

Am I correct in assuming here that NM has no ability to control pppd?
Does pptp launch pppd?  Any chance to get the pptp author to make some
modifications to work better with NM?

> The need to edit the secrets file is one thing, but requiring the user
> edit the ppp ifup script is quite another.  We really need stuff to
> "just work" and I understand that PPTP and PPP are heavily interwoven,
> and this sucks, but is there any way to work around this?

Yeah, this does rather suck.  But if pptp just calls pppd and doesn't
allow specification of stuff like a script file to run after everything
is done, etc, its going to be hard.  Hopefully there's a way to do this
without touching/moving stuff around...

> In the case of the secrets file, I suppose you could write that data out
> yourself, no?

I did this initially for vpnc before they added the 'options written to
stdin' option in 0.3.3 (which is why NM requires 0.3.3).  It works, but
of course its a security risk.  If there's no alternative though, it's
probably the best route.