Re: OpenVPN Questions

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 18:50 +0100, Tim Niemueller wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > I haven't looked at your code but I sounds like you are advocating
> > configuration files in e.g. /etc or ~/.local/etc (I could be wrong
> > though) and I think this is not something we want. Think of the benefits
> > of using gconf here.
>
> No, this was about the import feature of NM so that administrators can
> give their users just a config file they can import so that the user
> does not have to write directions like "fill abc in field x". So the
> question is if we want to be able to import the openvpn config the admin
> distributes right now (which could also be used by openvpn) or if we
> want to import a ini style file (like PCF files but with different
> entries, which would be close to OpenVPN terminology).
>
> All settings are saved in gconf. Passwords will be saved in gnome-keyring.

Ah, good to hear; sorry, I should have checked the code...

> Certificates are given as files since it seems that there is no central
> infrastructure in place right now (please correct me if I missed
> something). On
> http://www.marcanoonline.com/wiki/Desktop_Certificate_Database_Library_proposal
> is a proposal for a centralized storage, but until this has been
> implemented we have to reference the paths on the harddrive to the .crt
> and .key files.

So... if I understand this right, some .crt and .key files are for all
users while some are per-user, right? So, maybe embed the ones shared
for all users in gconf?

And make the authentication dialog prompt the user for the missing
per-user certificates? Or even better... look up in a certificate store
somewhere, e.g. I'm thinking NSS integration in the future...

Cheers,
David