Re: [patch] more stetic!

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 09:23 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 09:07 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, I've got to ask...  What the heck is "stetic"?  Is it a typo of
> > > "static"?  Or is it a complete misunderstanding of the English word
> > > "aesthetic"?  I cannot find the word "stetic" in any English
> > > Dictionary I've tried.
> > >
> > > Or, perhaps, is it a typo on the German version (dropping the "Ae"
> > > character)?
> >
> > Read the start of the thread, it's explained there.
>
> Um, sorry, but I just re-read it, and the word "stetic" is never defined.  I
> _presume_ it means "aesthetic" based on context, but I'd like that clarified.
> The grammar geek in me is reeling at the use of a non-word.  If nothing else,
> I'd like to educate those on this list on the proper use of the English
> Language.

Stetic doesn't really mean anything, which is why Robert usually uses it
with a ! after it or in a generally lighthearted manner.  It originates
from a KDE-GNOME flamewar from a while ago, where "a KDE fan asserted
that GNOME was ugly, while KDE was 'beautiful' and 'stetic'."  Its kind
of a joke now, in many ways :)

I think the original post is preserved here:

http://primates.ximian.com/~peter/stetic.html

which Robert referenced earlier.