Re: DNS problem (forwarding order?)

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 11:05 +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 15:05 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> >
> >>If you really really care it shouldn't be too difficult to implement
> >>nm-named-manager-dnsmasq.c and do conditional compilation.  Not sure if
> >>Dan would take the patch, but it's probably not too much of a
> >>maintenance burden.
> >

> > Yeah, I'd take a patch
>
> I plan to produce one when I get some spare time. (and when I've
> released dnsmasq 2.23, which has DBus support.) A question arises as to
> how the code determines which DNS forwarder to use. Obvious options are:
>
> 1) Conditional compilation
> 2) Runtime configuration.
> 3) Try options in turn and use the first one which is on the DBus.

I'd rather have dynamic configuration so that it "just works," like your
option 3.  If the user has both bind/caching-nameserver and dnsmasq
running, there would have to be a table in there for 'try x first, then
y', but nobody would likely be running both.  It may take some
abstraction of the current named-manager/*.c files but I think the more
dynamic we can be here, the less pain for the user.

The same goes for the DHCP stuff, it would be nice to have that
dynamically choose as well.