Re: dhcp-lease

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 14:33 -0500, Lance A. Brown wrote:
> Standard operation for a dhcp client is to request a DHCP renewal at 1/2
>  lease-time, or at the time specified by the dhcp-renewal-time DHCP
> option.  If you're waiting until lease-time to renew the lease, then you
> have a significant chance of loosing the lease before you can renew it.
>
> Section 4.4.5 of the DHCP RFC (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2131.html)
> describes this all in detail.

Correct, as the code currently does it (dhcpcd/client.c:270):

T1 (renew): 0.5 * lease time
T2 (rebind): 0.875 * lease time

The timeouts for T1 and T2 are set up with these values by default.  If
the DHCP server passes us explicit T1 and T2 values, we'll use those
instead.

Its entirely possible that NetworkManager isn't actually doing the
renew/rebind stuff correctly or at the correct time, I'll check that
out.