Re: dhcp-lease

Dan Williams wrote:
> Technically, NetworkManager starts a timeout handler for the # of
> seconds of the time of the lease, and executes a DHCP Renew when it hits
> that timeout.  Can you paste in the output of /var/log/messages starting
> where it starts doing DHCP stuff until it says its connected?  That
> should figure out what the lease times are, and from that I can see
> whether or not NM is actually honoring those lease times.

Standard operation for a dhcp client is to request a DHCP renewal at 1/2
 lease-time, or at the time specified by the dhcp-renewal-time DHCP
option.  If you're waiting until lease-time to renew the lease, then you
have a significant chance of loosing the lease before you can renew it.

Section 4.4.5 of the DHCP RFC (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2131.html)
describes this all in detail.

--[Lance]

--