Re: NetworkManager vs. AR5212 802.11abg Wireless NIC

Lance A. Brown wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
>
>> What version of NetworkManager are you using?  I fixed some code about a
>> week ago that accidentally locked Atheros cards at a specific freqency,
>> that should be fixed as of last week in CVS.
>

> I tried both the latest RPM for FC3, and then downloaded a fresh copy of
> the NM CVS last night and tried it.  Both end up forcing the Atheros to
> cycle through the 5Ghz freqs after going through the 2 Ghz freqs once.

I did some more digging tonite and think I found out how I'm getting
stuck in 802.11a mode.  The madwifi driver supports the following values
for the 'mode' parameter:

iwpriv ath0 mode 1              lock operation to 11a only
iwpriv ath0 mode 2              lock operation to 11b only
iwpriv ath0 mode 3              lock operation to 11g only
iwpriv ath0 mode 0              autoselect from 11a/b/g (default)

If I'm reading the NM code correctly, nm_device_new calls
nm_device_set_mode(dev, NETWORK_MODE_INFRA) where NETWORK_MODE_INFRA is
the numeric value 1.  This locks the atheros card into 802.11a mode,
preventing it from associating with my Linksys WRT54G.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/