Re: RFC: WPA-related API changes

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 17:31 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 17:08 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > Candidates:
> > libnm
> > libnm_utils
> > libnm_client
> > libnm_client_utils
> > ???
>
> libnm or libnm-client gets my vote.

Right, libnm-client it will be then.  It's not really a library directly
for interfacing with NM (though it could grow to be).  It's really just
a library that applets would find useful right now.

> This is all stuff to make WPA easier/cleaner to implement?

Essentially, yes.  I'm creating a more generic framework to take care of
all the cipher options that wireless affords us.  We've got 128-bit
passphrase/hex, 64-bit passphrase/hex, WPA-PSK passphrase/hex, etc.
That's 6 already.  We get to add 2 more if we care about ASCII keys too
(though I don't think people really use those).  These are going to be
the responsibility of the applet, not NM.  NM will simply accept the
binary key data and send it to the driver (or write it to
wpa_supplicant.conf).

Some links on encryption and authentication for WPA and WPA2:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_item0900aecd801e3e59.shtml