Re: debugging lack of link events

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:51 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:45 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Yah, it might not be NM... but I don't think its HAL, because those
> things don't do the link monitoring.  If NM can see the device, then all
> of that is working.

Hal 0.4x does netlink monitoring, that got moved to NM when david
decided that HAL shouldn't be doing link status stuff.

> It could be the driver, getting stuck.  Although I guess it is possible
> that NM is not properly handling the link monitoring netlink socket.
> But, as I said, it works for me with the same NIC.

I'm trying to distill a testcase that shows this.  I've got one that
works with the GObject stuff, I'm bringing that down to a plain file
descriptor-based testcase now.  So we'll see.  But its an awefully long
time between when mii-tool shows the link is gone (which is polling of
course) and when the GObject based testcase actually gets notified that
the link is gone (which is listening to the netlink socket).

> Dan, anything change in nm-netlink-monitor.c between STABLE_0_3 and
> HEAD?

nm-netlink-monitor.c came along with the move to more recent HAL, I
think for HAL 0.5x and dbus 0.3x.  Previously, the netlink code lived in
HAL's linux backend.