Re: Systray notification ?

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 08:00 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 19:15 -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed NM on my Ubuntu PPC from the Ubuntu source packages
> > available at
> > 	deb-src http://people.ubuntu.com/~thom/network-manager/ ./
> >
> > I don't have any sytray notification. Why ?
> >
> > NetworkManagerInfo and NetworkManagerNotfication are both running.
> >
> > Thanks for any clue.
>
> NetworkManagerNotification won't display the icon if you've only got one
> wired network connection.  As soon as you plug in another network card,
> the icon will pop up.

I have an Airport and I had and external linksys wifi, both running. No
icon.

> The argument for this behavior:
> You've only got one connection, and its connected.  What's the point of
> showing other connections if you (a) don't have any and (b) can't use
> them by definition.
>
> The argument against:
> People don't realize what's going on when the icon hides itself, and
> have no idea that NetworkManager is actually working.
>

> Personally, I'm not convinced that this behavior is correct, and I'll
> probably revert it at some future point after talking to Seth and/or
> Brian about the rationale for it.

Neither am I.

Reason 1 the user needs feedback otherwise he is confused. The only
reason you would hide the notification is because he explicit hid it.

Reason 2 what about handling setting for a single interface. Like fixed
IP at the office, and DHCP at home (for example).

Hub
--
Crazy French - http://www.figuiere.net/hub/