Re: Systray notification ?

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 19:15 -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed NM on my Ubuntu PPC from the Ubuntu source packages
> available at
> 	deb-src http://people.ubuntu.com/~thom/network-manager/ ./
>
> I don't have any sytray notification. Why ?
>
> NetworkManagerInfo and NetworkManagerNotfication are both running.
>
> Thanks for any clue.

NetworkManagerNotification won't display the icon if you've only got one
wired network connection.  As soon as you plug in another network card,
the icon will pop up.

The argument for this behavior:
You've only got one connection, and its connected.  What's the point of
showing other connections if you (a) don't have any and (b) can't use
them by definition.

The argument against:
People don't realize what's going on when the icon hides itself, and
have no idea that NetworkManager is actually working.

Personally, I'm not convinced that this behavior is correct, and I'll
probably revert it at some future point after talking to Seth and/or
Brian about the rationale for it.