hidden essid experiment

My campus is covered by a set of Cisco AP's that use the same hidden essid, cuairnet, and the same 128 bit WEP key. Using the cvs20041208 Fedora development release of NetworkManager and the 0.17 version of ipw2200, I did the following experiment. In a location with two usable AP point signals, one strong and one midrange, I clicked on 'Other Wireless Networks' and filled in the essid cuairnet and the WEP key. In about 15 seconds, I was connected. I looked in gconf and found the network entry 'cuairnet' containing the MAC address of the weaker AP along with the essid and key. I was surprised that NetworkManager had selected the weaker AP but the fact that the ipw2200 driver does not yet report 'scan quality' may explain this. I edited the addresses lists adding the MAC of the stronger AP. I rebooted hoping the hidden network cuairnet would be automatically offered as a choice but it was not. Again, I had to click on 'Other Wireless Networks' and filled in the essid cuairnet and the WEP key. This time NetworkManager selected the stronger AP. The fact that I had to re-enter the cuairnet information may again be due to the fact that the ipw2200 driver does not yet report 'scan quality' may explain this. If this conjecture is wrong, let me know.

I previously reported on the failure of the above setup to obtain an ip address on my home network where I use an SMC Barricade 7004 AWBR router/switch/AP. No such failure occurred on the campus network. The dhcp negotiation was written out in painful detail in the syslog and made for interesting reading. On the home network, there is nothing in the syslog. The SMC fails to respond. The tcpdumps have been previously posted.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences