autoswitching

My campus is covered by a set of Cisco AP's that use the same hidden essid, cuairnet, and the same 128 bit WEP key. Using the cvs20041208 Fedora development release of NetworkManager and the 0.17 version of ipw2200, I did the following experiment. I clicked on 'Other Wireless Networks' and filled in the essid cuairnet and the WEP key. In about 15 seconds, I was connected. I plugged in an Ethernet cable and in about 2 seconds I was connected to the wired network. I unplugged the Ethernet cable and in about 15 seconds the connection to cuairnet was re-established. This success surprised me because if I reboot, NetworkManager does not offer the hidden network cuairnet as a choice, instead I have to click on 'Other Wireless Networks' and filled in the essid cuairnet and the WEP key again, even though all the relevant information is already stored in gconf. I am conjecturing cuairnet is not being offered by NetworkManager because the ipw2200 driver does not yet report 'scan quality.' Am I right?

Here is another observation. When connected to cuairnet, the four vertical bar, NetworkManagerInfo signal strength applet flashes off, then back on every 6 seconds.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences