Re: [Nemiver-list] pkg-config files and dependencies

On 10/23/06, dodji Seketeli <dodji domain hid> wrote:
> I agree, but should there be a way to determine which backend plugins
> a user currently has installed?  An application author could use a
> nemiver-gdb-plugin.pc file (currently called libgdbmod.pc)  to
> determine whether the gdb backend was available (or a
> nemiver-python-plugin.pc, etc).  But if we do that, we should change
> it so that it doesn't return any libraries to link against (I don't
> know what I was thinking when I did that).
> So it would just be a
> simple dependency existence check.  Does that sound useful or not?

Oh, okay. That'd be cool yes. I forgot about that aspect. One needs to
check the presence of that implementation of the IDebugger interface,
yes.

done.  I changed the .pc file name to nemiver-gdb-plugin.pc

> Yeah, I think that's just because of the following line in
> src/common/Makefile.am:
>
> libnemivercommon_la_LDFLAGS= NEMIVER_LIBS@
>
> So we tell it to link against every single library we check for in
> configure.  If we changed that instead to something like:
>
> libnemivercommon_la_LDFLAGS= GLIBMM_LIBS@

oookay. We will need to cherrypick the dependencies we need then.
That's for the good.
I buy in that.

OK, I've committed changes for this as well, but we still have the
gnome-vfs dependency in libnemivercommon, which still pulls in avahi
and a bunch of other stuff, so it'd be nice to move that up the stack
eventually.

--
jonner