Fwd: Searching for Nautilus Shortcut for Paste

Once again I forgot to CC the list. Forwarding now. Sorry for the noise.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: António Fernandes <antoniojpfernandes gmail com>
Date: terça, 20/03/2018, 11:50
Subject: Re: Searching for Nautilus Shortcut for Paste
To: Andreas Kühn <a kuehn kuehn ch>

A terça, 20/03/2018, 10:54, Andreas Kühn <a kuehn kuehn ch> escreveu:
Hi Antonio

I am sorry, but I did not have time to properly report the issue and I am greatly thankful for your mail.

Ctrl-Ins is the original Copy shortcut, before Ctrl-C was introduced by Microsoft.
Shift-Ins is the original Paste shortcut, before Ctrl-V was introduced by Microsoft.
Shift-Del is the original Cut shortcut, before Ctrl-X was intrroduced by Microsoft.

Shift-Del is already used as a shortcut to "Delete permanently" (in constrast with Delete which just send the files to Trash when possible). This is also used in other OS as the sortcut for such action.

In Nautilus they are needed to cut, copy, paste files.

These shortcuts work in almost all programs on Windows, Linux and maybe other OSes. They are part of a standard, can't remember which, have no time to do research on this. Try gedit for example.

It would be nice to get a reference for that standard.

It ia honestly the first time I have heard of those shortcuts. But I'm not aware of any strong reason not to add Ctrl-Ins and Shift-Ins, unless there is a conflicting shortcut (as the case of Shift-Del).

It is unfortunate that there we would be missing a right-handed alternative to Ctrl-X anyway. Would it make sense to support the first two but not the third one?

I encourage you (or any interested party) to file a feature request here https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/new?issue%5Bassignee_id%5D=&issue%5Bmilestone_id%5D=

Best regards,
Andreas