Re: Browse Network: FTP-Servers in local network are shown, but clicking on them only leads to "connection refused"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 02:59:18PM +0200, Bazon Bloch wrote:
Ah, thank you!

$ gvfs-mount ftp://servername
promts me to enter username and password and works then.

$ gvfs-ls -a "standard::target-uri" network:///
dnssd-domain-cookbook._sftp-ssh._tcp    0    (shortcut)
standard::target-uri=sftp://192.168.2.110:22/

("cookbook" is the servername. [it's my kitchen notebook. ;-)])

So I'm even more confused now, is my server ftp or sftp? (standard vsftp
setup with "allow local users")
And, to get to my initial question again:
What can be done to connect to it via the "browse network" function in
nautilus?

Nice server name :-)

Well the browse network function uses Avahi's dns-sd to discover
services in the network.  It appears that something on cookbook is
advertising an SFTP service that is not actually available to connect
to remotely (perhaps the port is blocked).  To fix this you need to stop
advertising that service and advertise the ftp service instead.  As a
starting point, look in /etc/avahi/services.

(alternatively, you could not use ftp but use sftp instead and ensure
that it is remotely accessible)

Hope that helps,
--
Ross Lagerwall