Nautilus "open with other application" doesn't allow other applications?

Hi!

There's a bug in Nautilus [1] that I'd be willing to help fix.  Basically, there's no way to add a custom application to the "open with" dialog box without creating a custom .desktop file (see related AskUbuntu q&a [2-4]).

Some very old (2005) dialog happened [5] on this list, discussing creating new .desktop files or creating new ones for custom launchers.  I guess I'm pinging here to ask about what the best solution to the bug might be, as I'm happy to work on it. I've only contributed one patch before, and I'm not even sure if this is a Nautilus issue or an ubuntu issue.

Thanks for the time!

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/799585
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/67216/unable-to-choose-default-application/90195#90195
[3] http://askubuntu.com/questions/67382/add-custom-command-in-the-open-with-dialog