Re: Updated undo patch

On 27 Jan 2012, at 14:54, Amos Brocco wrote:

> Hello,
> I tried your changes... but I'm not convinced that limiting the undo/redo
> to just one action is good enough (at least for me): if I'm doing multiple
> operations I might realize that more than just the last one was wrong (for
> example, if I'm organizing my photos, moving them from separate folders
> in a common folder... a one-level undo is not very forgiving if the user
> doesn't realize his mistakes as soon as they happen.

I'm also a little surprised that the GNOME designers that Cosimo asked would have said the multi-level undo was overkill for a file manager -- Apple certainly thought it was important enough to add it to the file manager in OS X 10.7, where previous versions only had single level undo IIRC. (On the other hand, I suppose you could argue that if it took them 10 years to add it…)

I couldn't tell you how often I've ever used it in 10.7, admittedly, but when it comes to having the same function behave differently in different applications, you want to be 100% sure it's the right thing to do, especially when it's a function that directly manipulates people's files.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop & Applications

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.