Removing 'Backgrounds and Emblems'
- From: Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org>
- To: nautilus-list <nautilus-list gnome org>
- Subject: Removing 'Backgrounds and Emblems'
- Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:14:38 +0200
with Nautilus 3.0 around the corner, I went ahead and removed
'Backgrounds and Emblems' from nautilus.
There are some reasons for it:
- the code is quite old and crufty, pulls in a lot of libeel code and is
- the feature, as it stands, is not really useful, and it's more
cosmetic than anything else, especially now that we use browser mode by
- we're trying to achieve a more streamlined nautilus (see e.g.  and
), and removing legacy features goes in the right direction.
Note that this does not completely remove the ability for extensions
(e.g. Dropbox) to add emblems programmatically by using the
libnautilus-extension library, just the user-added emblems from the
properties dialog/emblems sidebar.
Also, the 'Information' sidebar is gone, for basically the same reasons.
We will keep to investigate a more powerful and up-to-date
metadata/keyword integration for nautilus in the future anyway.
The branch I merged is split into atomic commits for every removal, so
it's relatively easy to backtrack changes if this caused any
] [Thread Prev