Accessing the status bar with an extension

Hello,

I need a functionality in nautilus similar to what e.g. WinZip offers
under Windows, namely displaying some details of a selected ZIP file in
the status bar. That means I select a ZIP file in Explorer (not open
it!), and in the status bar I can see how many files there are in the
archive, compression ratio etc.

For nautilus, I think this would be possible by writing an extension,
but I could not find out if it is possible to access the status bar via
the extension API (I'd like to use python, if that matters). From what I
read, it should be possible to give additional details about a file with
an additional properties page, but this is not what I want.

Before I start digging into the topic of writing a nautilus extension,
I'd first like to know if it's possible.

Thanks,
Andreas