trying to get simple patch to work

I would like to modify Nautilus to display the current full path in the title
bar.

I have no interest in discussing the merits of putting the full path in the
title bar; if it isn't already something you want, you probably just don't
do work on a computer in quite the same way that I do. It would be helpful
for me, and it is not provided by Nautilus, so I am trying to do it myself.

I have been looking for help on ubuntuforums.com, in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6935041#post6935041 . In that
thread is an explanation of how to accomplish this, but it is not working
for me. In short, the suggestion is to modify a few lines in a file called
nautilus-navigation-window.c. I tried this, but I'm not able to compile the
source afterwards.

When I run configure, I get the output shown below. Obviously I need some
libraries, but none of them are found by apt-get. Can anyone direct me to
some kind of explanation of what is required to compile Nautilus, and how I
can get it?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, running Nautilus 2.22.5.1, and I guess the version of
Nautilus I'm compiling is the currently available one, 2.26.0. I'm pretty
new to everything in linux, so I may need some baby steps. Any help is
appreciated.

checking for ALL... configure: error: Package requirements (
	glib-2.0		>= 2.19.0
	gnome-desktop-2.0	>= 2.25.5
	gthread-2.0
	gio-unix-2.0
	gio-2.0
	pango			>= 1.1.2
	gtk+-2.0		>= 2.13.0
	libxml-2.0		>= 2.4.7
	gail			>= 0.16
	unique-1.0
	dbus-glib-1
) were not met:

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.19.0' but version of GLib is 2.16.6
Requested 'gnome-desktop-2.0 >= 2.25.5' but version of gnome-desktop-2.0 is
2.22.3
Requested 'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.13.0' but version of GTK+ is 2.12.9
No package 'unique-1.0' found