Re: Split/dual pane view again (but this time with code)

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 10:14 +0100, John Keller wrote:
Alexander Larsson wrote:

Plus, as I wrote in the other thread, Ctrl+Tab is already used in Nautilus - and inconsistently, as well (inconsistent within Nautilus, and by a strict reading of that same quoted HIG phrase, inconsistent with the HIG too).
Well, if by "used in nautilus" you mean "has the same behaviour in
nautilus as in any other Gtk+ app".
What I meant was what I outlined in a previous email. The Ctrl-Tab behavior depends on the combination of browser vs. folder and list vs. icon view:

I replied to this in the other mail. Its the same behaviour as in any
other Gtk+ app with the same widgets.

* browser: Ctrl-Tab works until it ends up in the button bar, where it just changes between buttons and never returns to file display (file display in icon or list view)

This is not the whole truth. This is the toolbar ctrl-tab behaviour, but
its only if the toolbar is focused. Then ctrl-tab switches to the
widget-internal focus chain. If you normal-tab to another widget then
you get out and can ctrl-tab in that widget.

* folder view + icon view: focus alternates between little folder button in lower-left corner and file display * folder view + list view: focus alternates between little folder button in lower-left corner and list headers, but never returns to file display

This is what I meant by internal (in)consistency (internal to Nautilus).

I think you have a weird definition of consistency. Tab walks the focus
chain (w/ ctrl in different way). The various things you list above have
different sets of widgets and thus different tab chains. But the tab
behaviour wrt the tab chain is consistent, i.e. it behaves as in any
other app/window with a similar set of widgets/tab chain. What you seem
to want instead is for "tab" to be a per-app specified operation that
does special things depending on the application, independently on the
current set of widgets and the tab chain in the app.

OK, well I guess I understand better. Actually, I wasn't trying to mix up the idea of Ctrl-Tab as a special key and Ctrl-Tab consistency in my comments above. I just had interpreted the behavior I outlined above as inconsistency (especially in the icon view vs. list view of the folder view, since one of the two returns focus back to the main view and the other doesn't).

I'll stop with comment about consistency, my goal wasn't meant to request something weird. But I do think that if I had this hard of a time understanding the proper behavior of Ctrl-Tab, there's likely others as well. (Not Nautilus, more generally.) Though, as I say, I do finally understand; thanks for your time.

- John