Re: Split/dual pane view again (but this time with code)

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:33:13 +0100 Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I'd rather pick another key shortcut that is not used currently. As I
> commented in another thread, such a shortcut is useful even in the
> no-split-view case where it could set focus on the view, independent
> on where focus was before. Not sure what the best shortcut would be
> though.
>
> Ctrl-Tab?

I'd be very happy with this one.

> 10.2.4.2. Standard Widget Navigation Shortcut Keys in
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-keyboard.html.en
> lists some interesting keys, like:
>
> F6, Shift+F6 - Give focus to next/previous pane in a GtkPaned window
> F8 - Give focus to splitter bar in paned window

Giving focus to the other pane in a GtkPane is not enough, because each
pane consists of a VBox layout containing the location bar and the
notebook, so I really want to focus the directory view, and not the
location bar, so one would have to fiddle around with the focus chain
again.

> Maybe we could use F4 or something for switching between views /
> focusing the view.

I'd like Ctrl-Tab much better. For my personal gut feeling it's much
more intuitive than e.g. F4 (which I connect to closing things).

Tab is already closely connected to focusing things, be it Alt-Tab for
the WM, or Tab alone for the focus chain. I can very well see Ctrl-Tab
become "focus the most important thing of the current window, or
iterate between equally important things if you're already there".

Holger